Monday, October 17, 2005

The Warmth.

"I'm an idiot for caring."

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. And I've been in a Spanish class with Keith Benedict and a Biology class with Andrew Clute. And I have never heard anyone say anything that stupid.

Now if you were to elaborate, it might make more sense. For example "I'm an idiot for caring too much," or "I'm an idiot for caring about people who don't care about anything," then its possible that you may be making an intelligent, reasonable statement. However, to say that to care is to be an idiot, well, that's just wrong.

Why?

Everything that you are, everything that you are ever going to be, is going to happen because somebody cares. It may be that you care, or that someone who loves you cares, or some completley random person with nothing better to do decides to care about you. I can get Religous with this, and talk about how God cares enough and loves us enough to die, but, for some reason I don't think that you are going to be very receptive to that.

Look beyond that all, and listen to what I'm saying to you, as a friend. As someone who cares. The only reason that I care about half of the people in my life is because of your example. You can't expect the world to be perfect, or, hell, you can barely expect the world to stay in one peice from day to day, but that doesn't mean you have to go down with it. There is a time to cut somebody off, this is very true. But there is never a time to stop caring completely. As long as I've known you, you have been a person who cared about others, and in caring for others, you convinced me to do the same. You're right, it's not your responsibility to change the world. But you're doing a damned fine job, and I hate to see you quit because you get frustrated and hurt. If you need help, I'll lend whatever I can, and then some. Just please, for the sake of all that is good, fairly benevolant, or shiny, don't give up on the world.

You're not an idiot for caring. You are one of my personal heroes.

"So don't let the world bring you down.
Not everyone here is that fucked up and cold."
-Incubus

-Matt

No comments: