Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Pardon Me

This may come as a shock to you all, but you have control over your life. You can take charge anytime you like. You can give your life to God, but in the most basic way you are still in control. It's quite possibly to give yourself to God, and then shoot someone for no good reason.

Here's the part of this that may make you uncomfortable - the control you have does not stop with your actions. It extends to thoughts, and eventually emotions. If you think negatively, you are gonna be depressed. On the other hand, if you think about the things that make you happy, and that you love, you are not going to be. Amazingly enough, this simple trick works. Where most of you, and I myself, fail, is at making the choice to feel good. It's just harder to feel good than it is to feel bad.

Suck it up.

I'm tired of trying to make you feel better, when you would rather feel worse. I can't count on both hands the number of people that daily I want to help. Some people, some of you, you want to be helped, and you want to be happy. So I have no problem with breaking a sweat or a bone to make you smile, laugh, and feel better. Some of you like to feel like dirt. That is officially no longer my problem. I still love you guys, but I can't live for you.

I'm tired of mind games.
I'm tired of feeling bad for you.
I'm tired of you lying to me.

So...

"Pardon me while I burst
into flames.
I've had enough of the world
and its peoples' mindless games.
So pardon me while I burst
and rise above the flame.
Pardon me!
Pardon me!
I'll never be the same."
-Incubus

3 comments:

Amy Kelley said...

"i tear my heart open
i sew myself shut
my weakness is
that i care too much"

At some point we just have to stop and say no. I stopped three years ago. Maybe I'm a prick now in some ways, but I don't like to put up with bullcrap. No one likes people who cry for attention. It's not because they're not nice, it's because they can't ever get enough. It's an addiction, like an obsession. and obsessive people generally disliked. I know, I've been there . . .

Unknown said...

today my pastor's sermon was about this:

your outer person and actions are a result of who you think you are. your self image is really the root of your personality. if you think of yourself as a friendly person, then you're gonna be a friendly person. if you think of yourself as a loner without friends, then you're gonna be a loner without friends.

if you think of yourself as a sinner, you're going to sin.

unfortunately its a common occurance for a person to develop one self image and never change it. for example: a person lives a life of sin, and then becomes a christian. this person is likely to think of themself as a sinner still and that make it harder for them to do good.

so this is kinda almost what matt was saying. you have to change your thinking to make a real difference in your life.

Rachel said...

Uh. Sorry, Patrick, but we ARE sinners. And I disagree with pretty much everything you/your pastor said in that sermon. It's true that our ways of thinking can influence our actions because they kinda go hand-in-hand. However, a smile doesn't mean someone is happy. Constantly putting oneself down doesn't mean they don't love themselves and aren't happy for what God has given them.